Tuesday, February 17, 2009

iPods




Thinking about to when I was in elementary school and junior high, I remember having a walk man that I would bring with me and my case of cds. I always found it frustrating when I had to buy a whole cd just for a couple songs. Then came the age of Napster and buring CDs. I remember that being the cool thing to do until Napster became illegal for pirating.


Then in high school this new thing call the iPod MP3 player came out. I remember seeing a couple people have them at first and then after one christmas I came back to school and EVERYONE had iPods. I didnt even understand what they were exactly. I remember the first time I used it...I had to have some help figuring out how to navigate through the music.

I didnt get my first iPod until I graduated high school in 2005.

My point of this story is that I thought this was a good example of how the diffusion of innovation is spread throughout a population.
The early adoptors and innovators were those very few kids in the beginning who had iPods before it was the cool thing to do.

All the kids who came back from christmas break with iPods were the early majority. After they saw their friends using them and became more familar with the product, they wanted them.

I on the other hand was on the tail end of the early majority, not quite late majority since they still are a tried.
My parents on the other hand we more of the late majority. They got iPods only justy recently, which was probably a smart idea since the product is more perfected with new up to date technology.
I also love their advertisments. I think it is a very good branding campaign. They are instantly recognizable and familar to the consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment